5.19.2012

BADJAO IN ZAMBALES


One day. At the a midst of afternoon in Zambales. There were two young boys selling a handicrafts accessories. They both approached me and asked to purchase a few from them. As i was so busy taking pictures of myself, I turned down the offer. Giving them the "i'm not interested look". When both of them walked away, I had this weird feeling that i had to look back and go after them. And so I did. They were both siting and  trying to convince other tourist. And as i was staring at both of them... . I saw the longing in their eyes, sympathy for these two young boys begun to rage in my system. And then i walked towards them. Gave attention on their handicrafts which was very simple and common. Something you usually see in any accessories store even here in Manila. But, when i heard their angelic voices, there's something that twisted every veins in my heart, screaming out to help these children. As i examined the handicrafts, it became the most beautiful ones that i have ever seen in my life! It was not how the pieces were made, but because i was looking on their faces. The emotions, the young voices, the innocent look in their eyes, the sincerity to give joy, the little hands reaching out while handling the crafts. My heart wanted to cry out. It seemed that God is in the work. I wanted to cry. I felt like, i am longing for these kids. Longing to help them. To empathize with them. To bring the joy that was being stolen by this unfair world. I bought the handicrafts and made sure that compliments were given both to the young boys. I also didn't asked for a change. I also asked how much they were getting from all the pieces they have purchased a day. And i was surprised to know that their getting only a few cents although they are the one who worked hard to sell those the whole day.

And as i was giving my thanks and regards to these children.. I decided to walked at the bay thinking.. I was so selfish. I am unfair. I don't deserve this vacation summer more than the two young boys deserve it. I thought to myself, what I was complaining for? What/Who was making me sad? Why do I complain a lot of times, but this two young boys?
Maybe, this is the time that we need to step back from our world and look at others way of living. Do we deserve too much but don't appreciate it any longer to the fact that we all have this inner pride like "hey i've worked so hard to get this!" Well... "Hey too!" These two young boys also worked hard. Maybe a 100 times of what you have worked hard. But what do you think these young boys are getting???? NOTHING.
Maybe, this is a wake up call for us to stop being so selfish, stop wanting everything only for yourself. Try to reach out to those who longing for God's love and care. Most especially for joy that these kids deserves more than anyone else...more than ever.









Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...